Sunday, September 26, 2010

AK 2 Stay?

Word on the trusty and reliable 'ole internet is that the Melo to Jersey, AK to Denver, Diaw to Utah disaster is on hold for now. It sounds as though Denver is getting cold feet. And now there is rumor that Melo may be involved in a deal for Andre Igoudala.

This will not come as a surprise, any Jazz fan with half a brain would agree, but I hate, hate , hate , hate the idea of trading AK for the likes of Doris. At one point "Dre" (I like to call him Dre because he is the whitest guy to play like a black guy since...well ever in Utah. Unless you count Curtis Borchardt) was rumored to be traded for Shawn Marion when he was the 3rd guy on a very good 60 win Suns team. An now we are talking about (essentially) Dre for Doris? Straight up? No. This makes no sense. There has has to be something more to this. Has to be. KOC is a smart guy. Possibly the best GM in the NBA so if this did happen then I would begrudgingly put my head down and cheer as hard for Doris as I possible could.

The only good point that I have heard is that the Jazz would then be saving 19 million total after the Jazz get below the luxury tax. But I still don't see how this makes sense. I made the following point on Bonds FB wall:

The idea that it is financially sound move...

It is not financially sound.

1. You lose an expiring contract. Money off the books when the contract expires. Jazz money. Money that the Jazz will save next year. REAL savings

2. Pissed off fan base spends less money on a lower quality team. Now, do not, DO NOT, try and tell me that the numbers will tell you that Doris and AK are similar types of talent. I would suggest that if you are in this camp then you need to stop drinking David Locke Kool-Aid.l

3. Pissed off superstar (D-Will) gets the message loud and clear, leaves Utah for Dallas (or any and every other team in the league that will be courting him as soon as their disgusting and vile hands get a crack at him during free agency in 2012) and...see # 2.

4. That contract will be worth a far superior player than Diaw by the time the trade deadline rolls around. And as a lockout looms teams will be desperate for that type of cap space....see #1.


I am confident that this could be a very special year for the Jazz. They have added the right type of personalities and more important the right type of talent to surround D-Will with. We held onto Boozer right up until the end and, to me, that makes so much less sense than riding the AK era right up until the end. So, C'mon KOC, lets do the right thing and let Dre be a part of the 2011 NBA championship Jazz team. I think we have all earned that.

2 comments:

  1. I don't disagree with anything you said. My question is: if any of it this trade rumor was true, and I always put my trust in KOC through thick and thin. The week after losing Boozer and Kyle is a good example of faith building. But was this trade part of master plan by Kevin to not just get under the cap but to use that cap space to pick up a certain waived free agent f/c?

    ReplyDelete
  2. another point to add to your argument is the fact that since this is a contract year for "Dre" he might actually play his heart out. We all know how good he is when those long gangly arms are in full force.

    ReplyDelete